To get notified when we publish a new article, follow us on
Are you also one of 7.5 lakh Punjab Government employees/pensioners who have been waiting for an increase in their salary/pension for the last 4 years?
If yes, then there is a good news for you. Finally, the 6th pay commission of Punjab is expected to be implemented during the next year.
Here is all you need to know about the 6th pay commission of Punjab.
- The 6th Pay commission of Punjab is due since 2016. The commission was formed by the previous Shiromani Akali Dal(SAD)- BJP alliance in February 2016 under the chairmanship of R.S Mann, a former Chief Secretary.
- After the change of Government in Punjab, Sh. Mann resigned from commission citing “Personal Reasons”.
- The current Congress Government, led by Captain Amrinder Singh appointed Jai Singh Gill, a former Chief Secretary, the Chairman of the Commission in April 2017.
- The State Government has since then extended the term of the 6th Pay commission of Punjab multiple times the latest till February 2021.
- Protests of Punjab govt employee unions for implementation of the sixth pay commission have made news many times during this period. The sixth pay commission is yet to be implemented even after the lapse of substantial time which could also delay the 7th pay commission of Punjab due in 2026.
New Pay Scales For Fresh Recruitments
In a development during July 2020, the Punjab Government has decided to implement pay scales in line with the 7th Central pay commission for all fresh appointments. The same applies to appointments in State Government departments as well as other Undertakings.
The Salaries of Punjab Government employees are approximately 25% higher than the same drawn by employees in adjoining states and Central Government employees.
In the letter to Additional Chief Secretaries, Deputy Commissioners & Head of Departments, Punjab State Finance Department has advised as under:
“The state government, after careful consideration, has decided that pay scales admissible to all prospective appointments direct recruitments/ compassionate appointment in any cadre of any administrative department or the entities thereunder, shall not be higher than the pay scale admissible to the said cadre in Government of India”
The same also provides a hint about the expected increase in pay scales under the 6th Pay commission of Punjab as the commission will also take it into account while proposing revision on salaries/Pensions of existing employees/Pensioners of the Punjab Government.
Hence the increase in salaries/Pensions under the 6th Pay commission is expected to be less than the average increase of 27% recommended by the 5th Pay Commission of Punjab during 2009 (applicable from January 1, 2006).
(The link to pdf file of Punjab govt notification in respect of 5th Pay commission of Punjab is available under “Sources”.)
Announcements in State Budget for FY 2020-21
While presenting the budget for FY 2020-21, Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal announced that a provision of Rs. 4000 cr has been kept in the budget for enhanced pay scales of employees/Pensioner under the 6th pay commission. He further said that the recommendations of the commission shall be implemented during FY 2020-21.
Montek Singh Ahluwalia Headed Expert Group Report
In a report titled “Medium and Long term post-COVID economic strategy for Punjab”, the expert group headed by Sh. Montek Singh Ahluwalia has made the following suggestions:
- The penal has suggested not making payment of deferred dearness allowance of 16% by the Punjab State Government.
- The Pay scales of Punjab State Govt employees are much higher than the central govt employees. The Penal has suggested introducing only central pay scales for fresh recruitment and that the existing employees should not get additional payments till the time central pay scales match with their present scales.
Conclusion Regarding the 6th Pay Commission of Punjab
With the prevailing Coronavirus situation and its impact on State finances, while many will doubt the implementation of the Punjab Pay Commission during 2021 but in all likelihood, the same shall be implemented by State Government during 2021 and we have a strong reason for that.
The Legislative Assembly elections of Punjab are due in February 2022. The State Government shall try to implement the pay commission before the date of imposition of the model code of conduct by the Election Commission of India to win the employee votes.
The same is even more important as it was one of the poll promises of Congress Manifesto during 2017 which reads as under:
“Expedite finalization and implementation of the report of 6th Punjab Pay Commission after hearing all representative employees’ associations/organization”
Hence Punjab State Government employees & Pensioner may expect payment of increased salary/pension on revised pay scales during 2021.
For the latest updates on Punjab Pay Commission and Dearness allowance refer following
A must read if you are covered under National Pension Scheme (NPS)
You might also be interested in FD Calculator